Monday, January 17, 2011

Cheddar Parmesan Buttermilk Biscuits

I have always had a deep love for biscuits. I remember when I was little, I used to ask to go to Red Lobster every year for my birthday solely so that I could eat dozens of those garlic cheese biscuits they have there. I also remember biscuits being one of the first things I EVER baked, back in a baking class I took when I was in elementary school. I’ve been making, eating and loving them for years.

My sister hosted our weekly Sunday family dinner last night, and usually I get conned into making dessert (which I never object to) but when I phoned her yesterday afternoon, she asked for biscuits (as we were having soup for dinner) – preferably with cheddar in them. So I played around with one of my favorite biscuit recipes, grated up some cheddar and parmesan cheese I had in my fridge, and created some friggen amazing biscuits. I actually had to stop my boyfriend from eating them, as I almost didn’t even have any left to bring to dinner.

Cheddar Parmesan Buttermilk Biscuits
(Adapted from the Prepared Pantry’s Easy Buttermilk Biscuits)

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup cold butter
1 cup plus one tablespoon buttermilk
1 heaping cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Oil a baking sheet. (This is important, as these suckers like to stick.)

Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Slice the cold butter into the flour mixture. Use a pastry blender (or two kitchen knives) to cut the butter into the flour mixture until you have a coarse, grainy mixture.

Stir in grated cheese. Make a well in the middle of the dry mixture and pour the buttermilk into it. Stir just until moistened. The dough should be of a consistency like drop cookie dough or just a bit stiffer. If it is not moist enough, add another tablespoon of buttermilk.


Spoon the dough into rounded mounds on the baking sheet, leaving room for expansion.
Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until the biscuits just begin to brown. I actually ended up turning my oven down to in between 400 and 425 as my first batch nearly burned at 425, so watch them carefully. Remove the biscuits from the baking sheet and place them on a wire rack to cool.

2 comments: