Monday, January 31, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup

I love squash. All kinds of squash. They’re kind of amazing vegetables due to the fact that they adapt very well to both savory and sweet dishes. They’re so versatile and so delicious – everyone should eat more squash!

Butternut squash is probably one of the most popular types of squash out there these days. However, it’s a tough bugger to cut. I love butternut squash but I absolutely hate peeling and slicing it so I admit that I don’t eat as much of it as I probably could.

But this weekend I got brave. I went out and bought a fresh squash, rolled up my sleeves, and went to town on it with the biggest and sharpest knife I had. It still took awhile, but I destroyed that squash in the end. Then I cooked it up with some other veggies, threw them all in my food processor and turned it all into delicious soup.

And it was good…

Curried Butternut Squash Soup
(Adapted from Martha Stewart’s Puréed Butternut Squash Soup)

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter
1/2 an onion, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2¾ pounds small butternut squash, prepared and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
2 cups vegetable stock
2 cups water
1/2 cup peanut butter
Curry powder
Coarse salt and ground pepper

Directions:

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, ginger, garlic and celery until fragrant (about 2 minutes). Add squash and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant (about 6 to 8 minutes). Stir in water and stock. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer until squash is tender (20 minutes).


Purée your soup in two batches. (*Note: When blending hot foods, allow the heat to escape to prevent splattering. Remove the cap from the hole of the blender’s lid, and cover with a dish towel.)


When soup is blended, pour back into pot and stir in peanut butter, and enough curry powder and salt and pepper to suit your tastes. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment