Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Casseroles instead of cookies

Have you ever seen that Campbell’s commercial where the mother is making dinner and the kids each ask if she’s making their favorite dish, however instead of just saying the name of the dish, they spell out the website url to where the recipe is on cookingwithcampbells.ca? Yeah…I’ve seen it a lot. And I kept thinking that the cheesy broccoli thing that the mom did end up making looked amazing and I had to see what it was.

Now, I’m going to admit that normally I’m a bit of a food snob. I’m not a fan of all those Kraft and Campbell’s recipes as they make you use all their brand-name products and most of them have like, salad dressing in them…it’s weird. But this recipe’s only brand-name ingredient was Campbell’s cream of broccoli soup. So I went out and bought some.

(on a side note, you could probably use no name cream of broccoli soup too…or even cream of mushroom…or chicken…I don’t think it would make a huge difference.)

Anyways, besides the fact that I’ve never opened a can of cream of broccoli soup before in my life and was consequently put off a little when I did (it looks and smells kind of gross..), the whole dish turned out pretty darn good. So good, in fact, that Matt and I ate the whole thing…and it would’ve probably made really good leftovers, but we now have none. Oh well. It was tasty while it lasted.

And I will never doubt cream of broccoli soup again.

Creamy Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
(Adapted from Campbell’s Easy Chicken and Broccoli Divan)

Ingredients:

3 cups broccoli florets, steamed
2 cooked chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
1 can cream of broccoli soup
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used old cheddar)
2 tbsp dry bread crumbs
1 tsp butter, melted

Directions:

First, cook your chicken breasts (I seasoned and broiled mine). While they’re cooking, steam your broccoli. When chicken is cooked, cut into cubes.

Mix milk with soup in a measuring cup or small bowl. Arrange broccoli and chicken in a baking dish (1.5 qt).

Pour the soup and milk mixture over broccoli and chicken. Sprinkle with cheese. Top with mixture of bread crumbs and butter.

Bake at 425°F until heated through (25-30 minutes).


I promise I'll get back to some dessert recipes soon enough, I just need a little break...and somehow get the rest of my Christmas baking out of my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment