Monday, January 24, 2011

Basic French Toast

French toast. I don’t crave it very often – I’m more of a pancake kind of girl – but when I do get a hankering for that sweet, eggy bread…I usually have to satisfy it right away.

This weekend, I had it twice. I went for brunch at one of my favorite restaurants, Padmanadi, and had the most delicious coconut banana French toast. It inspired me to start making variations on French toast more often, as it’s like a pancake in the sense that it takes well to experimentation.

Today however, I’m just gonna share my basic French toast recipe. It’s kind of a no-fail, guaranteed delicious kind of thing. It’s also a great way to use up stale bread. I used some leftover whole wheat bread I made last week, but French bread is also really great and one of my favorite breads to use is actually rye bread.

P.S. Cinnamon raisin is pretty awesome too… in a heavenly I-can’t-believe-this-even-exists kind of way.

French Toast

Ingredients:

4-6 slices of bread
2 eggs
1 cup milk - vanilla soy milk is really nice too
1/2 tsp vanilla
pinch cinnamon (optional)

butter (for the pan)

Directions:

Beat the eggs in a shallow bowl and slowly mix in the milk and vanilla (and cinnamon, if you’re using it).

Over medium heat, heat a frying pan coated with a thin layer of butter.

While the frying pan is heating up, place the bread slices into the bowl one at a time, letting them soak up the egg mixture for a few seconds, then carefully turn them to coat the other side. Only soak as many slices as you will be cooking, as they can get too soggy otherwise.



Transfer the bread slices to your frying pan, heating slowly until the bottoms are golden brown. Turn and brown the other sides as well.



Serve hot with butter, syrup, icing sugar, whipped cream, fresh fruit and anything else your little heart desires!

No comments:

Post a Comment