Thursday, January 13, 2011

Bread Take 2 - Whole Wheat

I took my bread making to the next level this week…I figured that if I could master a simple yeasted white bread, I should do something to try and make it slightly healthier.

So, I researched some other bread recipes, added some whole wheat flour and bran into the mix (because fiber is good for you!) and the bread turned out delicious. I used it for sandwiches all week and it’s amazing just the difference in flavor compared to most store-bought breads. It’s got a mild sweetness to it from the brown sugar that’s just lovely. It also makes a mean toast.

I may never buy bread from the supermarket again…

Whole Wheat Bread

Ingredients:

4 tbsp butter
1 cup milk
1½ tsp yeast
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp brown sugar
3 cups flour (I used half whole wheat, half white)
1/2 cup wheat bran

Directions:

Melt the butter and the milk together in the microwave. While you do this, mix your yeast with a little bit of warm water to activate it. Let it sit for about 5 minutes.

After the butter is melted and your milk/butter mixture is lukewarm, mix it with the yeast in a large bowl. Add in the salt and sugar and mix well. Add the flour and bran last and stir until all the ingredients come together into a sticky ball.

Knead for about 5-7 minutes – dough should be elastic and moist. Place in a greased bowl and cover with the tea towel. Allow dough to rise for about an hour, or until doubled in size.

When dough has risen, punch down and knead out air bubbles. Form the dough into a loaf, place in a greased loaf pan and allow to rise, covered, for another 30 minutes.


Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees F. Allow to cool completely before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment