Friday, November 5, 2010

Quinoa Breakfast

In case you didn’t know, I love breakfast. It is undeniably my most favourite meal of the day. I can’t even remember the last time I didn’t eat breakfast. I love everything from eggs and toast to pancakes and waffles…I even love breakfast for dinner, which was and still is a staple at my parents’ house. I grew up with it and sometimes, there is nothing I love more than cereal for dinner. Or crepes and wine…if I’m feeling indulgent.

Anyways, when I discovered the website, Simply Breakfast, I fell in love with the simple, rustic and beautiful photos of the blogger’s daily breakfasts. She has inspired me to embark on a similar project…sharing yummy breakfast recipes!

Today: breakfast quinoa w/ blackberries and coffee.



Recipe:
(Adapted from Martha Stewart’s Breakfast Quinoa Recipe)

Breakfast Quinoa

Ingredients:

2 cups milk
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
handful fresh blackberries

Directions:

Bring milk to a boil in a small saucepan. Add quinoa, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until three-quarters of the milk has been absorbed (about 15 minutes).

Stir in syrup and cinnamon. Cook, covered, until almost all the milk has been absorbed (about 8 minutes).

Serve with berries and any additional fix-ins you desire (milk, sugar, cinnamon etc.)

*Note: This makes too much for one person, so I refrigerate the left-overs and heat up single servings throughout the week.

Quinoa is an amazing little grain and a staple in vegetarian diets as it contains a balanced set of amino acids making it a complete protein. It’s also gluten-free :). It makes a really nice substitute for oatmeal in the morning or even rice or couscous as a side dish. Go out and get some!! You’ll be happy you did.

2 comments:

  1. i actually bought some last night for a salad i was making but then for lunch today inspired by you i mixed it with milk strawberries and brown sugar...tasty and filling :)

    thanks for the idea steph!!!

    <3 Krystyn

    ReplyDelete