Monday, November 8, 2010

A Classic: Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ahhh…chocolate chip cookies. There really is no other dessert as nostalgic and heart-warming as chocolate chip cookies. As a baker, they are a staple in my “recipe repertoire” and I’ve experimented with many different recipes over the years but these are probably my favourite. Mind you, I am, and always will be, a fan of the famous Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe, but these are a little bit more unique and suited to my own personal tastes.

I like a good chocolate chip cookie that is browned on the outsides, soft in the middle and not cakey. The addition of dark chocolate chips and sea salt make this recipe just a bit more sophisticated too.

They’re pretty yummy…so, I suggest you go make some. Right now. Trust me, you won’t regret it.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:

1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup dark chocolate chips

Coarse sea salt, for sprinkling (optional)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325°F.

In a big bowl, beat butter and sugar until well combined. Add egg, syrup and vanilla and beat until smooth.

Add the baking soda and salt to the wet ingredients, mix, and then add the flour and stir until almost combined. Add the chocolate chips and stir just until blended.

Drop spoonfuls of dough on a non-stick cookie sheet (or line one with aluminium foil – that’s what I always do). Sprinkle the tops with coarse sea salt. Bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until golden around the edges but still soft in the middle. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

Sea salt is kind of my secret ingredient in nearly all my baking. I truly believe that it makes a significant difference in the taste. I will also always splurge on good vanilla – none of that “vanillin” stuff or artificial vanilla extract.


You can also alter this recipe by adding nuts or other types of chips. Sometimes, I like to use half milk chocolate and half dark (or semi-sweet). Play around with it – make it your own!

3 comments:

  1. The cookies are great, but sprinkling salt on them is like sprinkling curry powder on a doughnut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be good depending on the doughnut

    ReplyDelete