Thursday, November 4, 2010

Healthy Lunch!


So, when I’m not baking desserts and having cheesecake for breakfast, I tend to eat quite healthy. You could call me a “health nut”. My dad does.

I’m also kind of eating vegetarian right now…not for health reasons or because I love cows or anything, it’s actually more of budget thing. Meat is expensive. I also don’t agree with the way much of our meat is raised and slaughtered these days so I like to buy from local farmers and butchers which tends to be even more expensive.

Therefore, I don’t eat a lot of meat. Unless I go out. Thankfully, my boyfriend likes tofu, so I’ve made it a little project for myself to come up with nutritious and delicious meat-free dishes that we’ll both enjoy.

Today, I had salad for lunch…mainly to make up for the cheesecake breakfast. But also because I just love salad. It’s super versatile! (Note: An old co-worker and good friend of mine, Sara, has a health food blog of her own and has a great post about spicing up salads here.)

One of my favourite things to put on salad is roasted chickpeas. They’re so yummy! Just rinse and drain a can of chickpeas, coat them in olive oil, salt and pepper and roast them in the oven at 400 degrees for about half an hour, depending on how crispy you like them. I added them to some mixed greens with tomatoes, cucumber and feta cheese. Top with the dressing of your choice, and you have a delicious protein and fiber-packed salad lunch!!

No comments:

Post a Comment