Friday, November 5, 2010

Awesometastic Chicken Curry

So, I really didn’t expect to be posting on this blog everyday…or posting many “normal” recipes however I made a chicken curry today that was so good, I figured it needed to be shared. My boyfriend, Matt, raved about it and after some serious curry fails in the past, it feels good to make something awesome for a change.

Plus, he’s a super harsh critic when it comes to my cooking. If he thinks it’s good, it usually is.

So, without further ado, the recipe for Stephanie’s Awesometastic Chicken Curry!

Ingredients

vegetable or canola oil
½ a medium onion, diced
1 red pepper, chopped (green, yellow or any combo of the 3 would work too)
3 garlic cloves, minced
3-4 tbsp curry paste (I use Patak’s Mild Curry Paste)
2-3 boneless chicken breasts, chopped into 1-inch pieces
5 tomatoes, diced (I used roma tomatoes because that’s all I had, but a can of diced tomatoes would work fine too)
¼ cup whipping cream
1 tsp coriander
pinch or 2 of hot red pepper flakes

basmati rice, for serving


Directions

Heat up vegetable oil (about 2 tbsp) in a deep frying pan on medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and pepper and fry until onion is soft and golden. Stir in curry paste and add chicken. Cook until meat is sealed, about 3 minutes.

Add tomatoes and simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes.

Add cream, coriander and red pepper flakes and simmer for another 5-10 minutes, until meat is cooked. Feel free to add other spices or more pepper flakes to taste. I also eyeballed the cream, so you could add more of that too if you want a creamier curry.

Serve with basmati rice. Naan bread would be good too.

This made enough for Matt and I, plus 2 servings of leftovers.


I know this recipe isn’t anywhere near vegetarian or vegan, but you could make it so by substituting the chicken with a can of chickpeas and using a dairy-free creamer or coconut milk.

I promise I’ll be back posting some new dessert recipes ASAP!! Look at me, less than a week in and I’ve already seriously strayed from my original intent…some dessert blogger I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment