Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Banana Bread

In the process of cleaning out my fridge yesterday, I noticed a large collection of brown bananas in my freezer. I commonly forget about all those bananas until I’m throwing a new one in and at that point, I usually make a note to make banana bread in the future…and then I forget.

BUT NOT TODAY!

Today, I made banana bread. It surprises me that I don’t make it more often as I absolutely love banana bread. It is one of my favourite comfort foods. Plus it’s so versatile – breakfast, afternoon snack, dessert…you can eat it just about whenever. I do.

I used Joy the Baker’s recipe and tweaked it a bit. I tend to use many of her recipes…because I trust her. And I didn’t want to waste those bananas!!

Even if I have about a zillion more…banana muffins may be next.

Banana Bread
This was originally Banana Cranberry Bread…but I had no cranberries. I used chopped pecans instead. I’m kind of on a pecan kick right now.

Ingredients:

3 to 4 ripe bananas, smashed
1/3 cup melted salted butter
3/4-1 cup light brown sugar, depending on the level of sweetness you prefer
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Pinch of ground cloves
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cup of flour

1 cup chopped nuts

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350°F.


With a wooden spoon, mix the butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg and vanilla, then the spices. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour, mix. Add the nuts, and stir until just incorporated. Pour mixture into a buttered 4×8 inch loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment