Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Strawberry Rhubarb Birthday Pie

My boyfriend loves pie. He's not a huge fan of cake (sometimes I wonder why he dates me...) but he's really into pie. We constantly argue over cake vs. pie superiority. One day, I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Anyways, his favourite pie is strawberry-rhubarb. And yesterday was his birthday. Normal people enjoy birthday cake on their birthday. But not my boyfriend...no. He prefers birthday pie. Strawberry-rhubarb birthday pie, to be exact.

(On a side note, we're apparently having wedding pie at our wedding too...not sure how I'm gonna argue that one just yet.)

But yes. Strawberry-rhubarb pie. In the middle of winter.

And where, do you ask, does one find fresh rhubarb in the Albertan prairies in the middle of December?

That's easy. One doesn't.

Fortunately, I thought ahead and bought a ton of rhubarb when it was in season and blanched and froze it all for this very occasion. For my high-maintenance-summer-pie-loving boyfriend.

I like to think that I'm a pretty awesome girlfriend. Even if I did manage to nab the one boy I know who doesn't like cake.

I guess I like a challenge ;)

Summertime Pie in the Middle of Winter
(a.k.a. Strawberry-Rhubarb Birthday Pie)

Ingredients:

4 cups rhubarb, chopped
2 cups strawberries, sliced
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

pastry for a double-crust 9-inch pie

Directions:

In a large bowl, toss the rhubarb and strawberries with the sugar, flour, lemon juice and cinnamon.

Roll out half the pastry dough on a lightly floured surface and line a 9-inch pie plate. Spoon the filling into the prepared pie plate.

Roll out remaining pastry dough for the top crust. Gently lay it over top of the fruit and trim and crimp the edges. Cut slits in the top to allow steam to escape.

Bake on a baking sheet in a 425 oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake for another 50 to 60 minutes longer or until rhubarb is tender and the crust is golden. Let stand for about 15 minutes before cutting and serving.

Serve warm with whipped cream.


Once again – I promise I’ll share my pie crust recipe with you soon enough! I just happened to have 2 single pie crusts in my freezer from the last batch I made so it was quicker to just use those instead of starting from scratch…next pie time! I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment