Thursday, December 23, 2010

Festive Sugar Cookies

I know I’ve been seriously slacking in the recipe department this past week…one would think that because it’s Christmas and I have time off to bake, I would be baking. And in all honesty…I have been baking. However, I keep forgetting to take pictures. Or I’m out fighting the crowds at the mall or driving all over town to holiday get-togethers and parties.

But enough excuses!! Here is a traditional holiday cookie recipe: sugar cookies!! These are Matt’s favourite cookies so I tend to make them a lot…they’re good for Christmas, Valentine’s Day, birthdays, when your lover-man is away doing a show in southern Alberta for 4 months…they’re just always appropriate. And so simple. And delicious.

So, enjoy!!

Sugar Cookies
*Note: These cookies call for margarine and I have made them with butter and they just weren’t the same…normally I would stress the use of butter, but these are an exception.

Ingredients:

1 cup margarine
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
2¾ cups flour

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (my oven is super old and these tend to burn at 400 if I’m not careful, so I bring it down to 375, just to be safe).

Cream margarine & sugar. Add egg, baking powder and vanilla – mix well. Add flour.

Roll out and cut using festive cookie cutters.

Bake for 6-7 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes on the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.

Makes a crapload of cookies. I wouldn’t recommend doubling it, unless you have A LOT of time on your hands to ice them.

Ice with royal icing – or any basic icing of your choice. I kind of always make mine up…

Feed to the people you love!

No comments:

Post a Comment