Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Yogurt Honey Scones

I had a major scone fail yesterday…I was sitting at home, wanting to bake something, and I came across Joy the Baker’s recipe for Grapefruit, Honey, and Yogurt Scones. I had just bought some grapefruits and had half a container of Greek yogurt in my fridge so I figured it was fate and I went about making the scones.

First off, I didn’t have any parchment paper so I greased some aluminum foil. Needless to say, the scones burnt…bad. Even though I turned down my oven. However, my oven is super old and likes to burn things sometimes…so I blamed it on that as well as my lack of parchment and substitution stupidity.

I was, however, able to taste the salvageable parts of the scones but unfortunately, I didn’t really like them…the grapefruit was nice, but the grapefruit sugar (made with the zest) had a frustrating bitterness to it that threw everything off for me. I think it’s cus I live in a polar climate where fresh grapefruit is rarer than green grass before March…and Joy probably had much better grapefruits, considering she lives in California.

Note to self: Move to California.

Anyways, today I wanted to take another stab at these scones, omitting the grapefruit this time around. The result? DELISH! They are light and flakey, almost like biscuits, and just scream for warm butter and fresh jam. I might be in love.

Mind you, I still had to turn my oven down a bit to avoid burning…

Note to self: Get new oven.

But the parchment really makes a difference. So definitely invest in some if you want to make these scones.

Yogurt & Honey Scones
(Adapted from Joy the Baker’s recipe for Grapefruit, Honey, and Yogurt Scones)

Ingredients:

1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, cold
2 Tbsp honey
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt

Directions:

Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (IMPORTANT!) and set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and baking soda.


Dice cold butter into small chunks and add to the dry ingredients. Using your fingers (or a pastry blender), and working quickly, break the butter down into the flour mixture until butter chunks are the size of oat flakes or small peas. The butter and flour combined will resemble coarse meal. Add the honey and yogurt. Toss together with a fork until all of the dry ingredients are moistened by the honey and yogurt.


Turn the scone dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Form into an 8 inch circle, about 1 inch thick. Use a knife or a bench scraper to cut the dough into six scone triangles. Place on the prepared baking sheet.


Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, until golden brown on top and firm but soft in the center. Allow to cool on the pan for 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm with butter and jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment