Friday, March 11, 2011

Peasant Soup

I returned to boot camp this morning, after a month-long hiatus that involved a lot less working out than I was used to, and a lot more consumption of bad food. Consequently, I felt really inspired afterwards to start eating a little bit healthier again. I hadn’t bought a significant amount of fresh produce in awhile so I decided to hit H&W, stock up on veggies and make a hearty vegetable soup today.

This is, without question, one of my favorite soup recipes. I don’t even know how many times I’ve made it. I got it from my Canadian Living Vegetarian cookbook (which might just be my favorite cookbook…I’ve made almost everything in it) and the picture alone is what sold me on the soup. It was just so colorful and it looked so delicious so I knew I had to try it. Soon enough, it became a staple in my house.

It’s called Peasant Soup, but it really is very similar to minestrone. It’s hearty, delicious and 100% vegan. Enjoy!

Peasant Soup
(Adapted from the Canadian Living Vegetarian Cookbook)

Ingredients:

2 tbsp vegetable oil
3 stalks celery, diced
3 carrots, diced
1/2 an onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
1/2 cup dried green lentils, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup fusilli pasta
1 can (19 oz) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
vegetable broth (optional)

Directions:

In large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; fry celery, carrots, onion, garlic, salt, dill and turmeric, stirring occasionally, until softened (about 6 minutes).

Stir in tomatoes, lentils, and 4½ cups water (I usually use half water/half vegetable broth). Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, about 25 minutes.

Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente (according to directions on box).

Drain pasta and add to soup along with beans and parsley; simmer for 5 minutes (Only do this is you plan on eating all the soup that day, otherwise the pasta soaks up all the liquid when you refrigerate the leftovers. I generally just make the pasta separate and add it as I want it.)


You can also add more salt and/or pepper to suit your tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment