Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup

I just came to the realization that I make a lot of soups…some “Sprinkled Life” I lead. I should change the name of this blog to “The Soupy Life”.

…erm, maybe not.

Regardless, I made yet another soup today. I’m on a bit of a wholesome kick. Don’t judge me.

(However, I am making cupcakes for a party this weekend…so there will be some sprinkle action again soon enough, I promise.)

Anyways, I recently picked up an immersion blender on sale, so I’ve been dying to make some sort of puréed soup in order to use it. And what is better than the combination of roasted red pepper and tomato?

Nothing. They make a crazy delicious soup. You should go make some. Right now.

Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup
(Adapted from Leslie Sarna’s recipe for Roasted Tomato Soup)

Ingredients:

6 roma tomatoes, halved
1 red pepper, quartered w/ seeds removed
8 cloves of garlic, peeled
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 cup vegetable broth
olive oil
sea salt
pepper
cayenne pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Line a cookie sheet with foil. Toss the tomatoes, red pepper and garlic in some olive oil and a big pinch of salt. Lay on the cookie sheet and bake for 30-45 minutes or until they just start to brown.


Heat a large pot on medium low. Pour in a few rounds of olive oil and the diced onions. Cook them until they are translucent.

Once the onion is translucent and your vegetables are roasted, pour the tomatoes, red pepper, garlic, all the juice from the pan and the vegetable broth into the pot. Stir, breaking up the tomatoes and pepper, and cook for about 5-10 minutes.


Now you can either transfer the soup into a blender (do this in batches) and blend till smooth, or go to town on it with your fancy immersion blender. Leslie recommends to then run the liquid through a strainer, however I like my soup with a little bit more texture – so I skipped the strainer.


Season to taste with a pinch of cayenne pepper and salt & pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment