Tuesday, May 31, 2011

NYC - Food Edition

I’m back!! Back from the magical land of pizza and cupcakes – because that’s pretty much all I ate in New York City. I wouldn’t even know where to begin describing my adventure – nor would words do it any justice – so for now, please enjoy a small sampling of some of the delicious things I consumed while in the Big Apple. I’ll have a more extensive entry up later this week, with reviews of all the shows I saw…because next to eating, all I wanted to do was cram in as many Broadway shows as I could.


New York pizza is unlike any pizza I’ve ever had in my life. It’s huge, the crust is super thin and they have the craziest and biggest selections of flavors. I loved it so much. I ate pizza almost every day…sometimes twice a day.


Of course I had to have a New York hot dog…this one was from the take-out window of The Boathouse in Central Park. I wanted to eat in the actual restaurant, but we just didn’t have enough time…the hot dog, however, was pretty standard, but it was somehow more magical considering I was eating in Central Park.


NYC is pretty much the land of cupcakes. Every corner has a bakery and generally, that bakery has cupcakes.


Of course, I HAD to go to Magnolia Bakery – I’d only been fantasizing about it since I first fell in love with cupcakes. However, the cupcakes unfortunately really weren’t much to write home about…they were good, but there was nothing really distinct about them. I had the vanilla and red velvet, and while the red velvet was pretty good, the vanilla was very disappointing. It was too sweet (which is rare for me) and not very vanilla-y (if that makes any sense).


I accidently stumbled upon Crumbs bakery a few days after I went to Magnolia and I have to admit that their vanilla cupcake was superior to Magnolia’s, in both size and taste. However, it did taste a bit like a boxed cake mix…but at least a good one!


One of the places that was a must-see for me was the Chelsea Market. I went a little crazy buying all these unique spices and salts…but what really made an impression on me was the actual grocery market they had there. The herbs were INSANE! Look at that rosemary! Everything was so big and fresh, I wish I could do my grocery shopping there all the time…


I had the best veggie burger of my life in NYC. Hands down. There really is nothing more to say.



One of the places we were recommended to go by our frequent NYC-travelling Italian friends was Tony Di Napoli’s. And it was amazing. All the portions were family-sized so they fed 2-3 people and you therefore had to share (why aren’t more restaurants like this?) and the food was just beyond delicious. I wanted to take a bath in the chicken marsala sauce. That’s how good it was.




We went out one night to a restaurant called Swing 46, which was on this street of restaurants all with prix-fixe menus. I had the tomato and mozzarella salad, roast chicken entrée and chocolate brownie for dessert and although all 3 sound pretty basic…they were all incredible. Especially that brownie. It literally melted in my mouth and was by far the best brownie I’d ever had in my life.


Went to a crepe joint one night after the theatre and they had the cutest names for all their crepes. I had the “Joie de Vivre” – a PB&J crepe. Needless to say, it was excellent.


Obligatory New York cosmo – and it was fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment