Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Lemon Bars

I’ve had a mad craving for lemon bars lately…I can’t explain it. I’ve never been a hardcore fan but for some reason they’ve been all that I can think about lately.

What can I say? My life is pretty exciting…

Anyways, late last night, after I got home from rehearsal, I decided to end the cravings once and for all. I made my very first batch of lemon bars. I then proceeded to eat half of them with a glass of wine in front of a girly movie. I now believe that every Monday night should include lemon bars, wine and girly movies.

Mondays are for indulging. Just embrace it.

Lemon Bars
(Adapted from Chasing Tomatoes’ recipe)

Ingredients:

Crust
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup icing sugar
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1 cup flour
pinch of salt

Filling
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp flour
4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon zest

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 350 F and line a 9x9 inch square pan with parchment paper. *Note: Make sure you line both the bottom AND the sides with parchment. I made the mistake of doing just the bottom and they stuck to the sides pretty badly.

For the crust:

In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, salt, and lemon zest together. Add to the butter mixture and combine. The result will look like shortbread dough. Press the dough evenly into the bottom of your parchment paper lined pan.



Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the edges are browned. Remove from the oven and set on a cooling rack.

For the filling:

In another bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, flour, lemon juice and lemon zest. Mix well. Pour over the crust and return it to the oven for about 20 minutes, until the top is dry and the edges are just starting to brown. Remove from the oven and let cool.


When completely cooled, dust the squares with icing sugar, and slice. They keep best in a sealed airtight container in the fridge.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe its a summer thing, I've been craving them because they remind me of sunshine :). I am the same way though. I go months (years) without ever thinking about them and then BAM. I wants em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! I'm on a serious lemon kick right now...

    ReplyDelete