Saturday, February 5, 2011

Dark Chocolate Nutella Cupcakes with Nutella Buttercream

Today is World Nutella Day. The one day of the year completely devoted to that addictive little chocolate-hazelnut dessert spread known as Nutella. I only first tried this dangerous treat about 4 years ago, believe it or not. I had actually been nervous to try it as everyone I knew in my life who had tried it warned me that I wouldn’t be able to stop if I did. It might just take over my life.

They were right.

I love Nutella. A lot. I will commonly spread it on just about every fruit I can find. Or on toast. Or just out of the container with a spoon. Apparently, I’m not alone on this either.

Today, all Nutella lovers unite to share their mutual love of this dangerous and delicious spread. And in its honor, I have made Nutella cupcakes.

That’s right. Nutella cupcakes.

You’re welcome.

Dark Chocolate Nutella Cupcakes
(Adapted from Cake on the Brain’s Dark Chocolate Cupcakes)
Because I mixed the Nutella right into the batter, these cupcakes are very fragile (as it doesn’t really bake too well). Just make sure you don’t fill the cupcake liners too full! Next time, I might just swirl some in…but either way, these are ridiculously moist and delicious cupcakes. They just have a weird order of being mixed together…but it was totally worth it.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup Nutella
3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plain yogurt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard-sized muffin pan with baking-cup liners.

Combine butter, chocolate and cocoa in medium heatproof bowl. Set bowl over saucepan containing barely simmering water; heat mixture until butter and chocolate are melted and whisk until smooth and fully combined (I just did this in the microwave and watched it really closely…and it worked the same). Stir in Nutella and then set aside to cool until just warm to touch.

Whisk flour, baking soda and baking powder in small bowl to combine. Whisk eggs in second medium bowl to combine; add sugar, vanilla and salt and whisk until fully incorporated. Add cooled chocolate-Nutella mixture and whisk until combined. Sift about one-third of flour mixture over chocolate mixture and whisk until combined; whisk in yogurt until combined; then sift in remaining flour mixture and whisk batter until it is homogenous and thick.

Divide batter evenly among muffin pan cups (no more than 3/4 full!!). Bake until skewer inserted into center of cupcakes comes out clean, 18-20 minutes.

Cool cupcakes in muffin pan on wire rack until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes. Carefully lift each cupcake from muffin pan and set on wire rack. Cool to room temperature before icing, about 30 minutes.

World Nutella Day Icing
(Stolen from The Unrepentant Carbivore)
This icing is sweet…really sweet. But still amazing. However, I’m pretty sure it sent my blood sugar through the roof.

Ingredients:

1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup Nutella
1/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup whipped cream

Directions:

Place the confectioners' sugar, Nutella, butter, vanilla, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium-low speed until creamy, scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula as you work. Add the cream and beat on high speed until the mixture is light and smooth.



Linked on Sweets for a Saturday.

5 comments:

  1. So, did you make about 30, or should I still bring some brownies to rehearsal tomorrow night? I know, brownies, not very original, but I'm wanting brownies.

    Thanks for the new Nutella recipe. I have a wonderful triple chocolate Nutella cookie recipe, if you're interested...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, a double nutella treat. These sound very tasty. have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog right now and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cupcakes up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I need to make these and then go do a lot of yoga!

    YUM!

    http://mixedmediumstheatre.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. nutella is such one of those delicious things of which you can never have enough. your cupcakes seem terribly addictive too with this topping

    ReplyDelete